Best Hearing Protection for Lawn Mowing
Most people appreciate the look of a well-manicured lawn. And, there is great satisfaction to be had when you finish mowing the lawn, and take a step back to appreciate a job well done.
However, what you probably don't enjoy is the noise which can come from your lawn mower, whether this is a task you carry out regularly for yourself, or for others.
While lawn mowers vary in the amount of noise they make, most produce around 90 decibels, which is not a healthy noise level to be exposed to.
Thankfully, you don’t simply have to put up with this. Here are the best hearing protection for lawn mowing options to significantly reduce the noise of your lawn mower.
Mpow 035 Noise Reduction Safety Ear Muffs
3M WorkTunes Connect Hearing Protector
ClearArmor 141001 Hearing Protection Ear Muffs
Professional Safety Ear Muffs by Decibel Defense
Howard Leight Sound Amplification Earmuffs
Top 5 Best Hearing Protection for Lawn Mowing Reviews
It can be hard to decide which product is best to protect your precious hearing. But, don’t worry, we’ve put together an extensive guide for you here, featuring five of the best options to choose from when looking for the best ear protection for mowing, to make sure you don’t put your hearing at risk while mowing the lawn.
1. Mpow 035 Noise Reduction Safety Ear Muffs
The first entry on our list, these ear muffs by Mpow are designed to reduce noise from all sorts of noisy tasks, jobs and pastimes, including industrial work, shooting, welding and airport noise, so they are ideal for turning the noise of lawn mowing into a low whisper.
Mpow has deliberately not aimed to cancel noise completely, as a safe level of noise can be necessary to predict any dangers or hazards in a situation. For instance, your lawn mower blades could touch an obstacle. Instead, these ear muffs reduce noise by between 28 decibels and 34 decibels.
This should reduce the noise enough so that it is similar to the sound of a conversation at home or in a restaurant. With soft ear cushions, and an ergonomic padded headband, along with adjustable and rotating ear cups, these ear muffs give a fit which you can personalize for extra comfort and noise reduction.
2. 3M WorkTunes Connect Hearing Protector
One of the key plus points of this hearing protector by 3M Safety is the fact it comes with integrated bluetooth technology. That means you can stream entertainment from your mobile phone, or any other device you have which is enabled with Bluetooth, so that you can listen to music while you mow your lawn.
That could definitely help the time to pass in a more enjoyable way if mowing the lawn isn’t your favorite garden maintenance task. You can also make and take phone calls without the need to take your hearing protection off as there is also an integrated microphone feature.
Lightweight and comfortable, these ear muffs will reduce the noise of your lawn mower by around 24 decibels, bringing the sound down to a comfortable level. Soft ear cushions make these comfortable to wear, and the headband has been deliberately designed with a low profile so that you can wear a hat along with your ear protection.
3. ClearArmor 141001 Hearing Protection Ear Muffs
ClearArmor’s ear protection ear muffs are cleverly designed with three layers of foam, each designed to reduce noise from different sound frequencies. This technology is coupled with a tight seal around the ears to dampen harmful sound levels. Sound should bounce off the ear cuffs as a result of their shape, rather than being absorbed by your ear.
This option also features soft ear muffs for extra comfort as well as the ability to tilt the angle of the ear protection and the headband so that you can customize the fit to the best protection for you. The headband can be altered by a width of one-and-a-half inches, so can be moved into position to fit your head, whether you need a small or a large fitting for your head.
These are ClearArmor’s most effective noise-cancelling protection, so if you do decide on an option from this brand, these ear muffs offer the greatest sound reduction to protect your hearing.
4. Professional Safety Ear Muffs by Decibel Defense
A big draw for this safety ear muffs by Decibel Defense is the amount they can reduce noise by. Offering a reduction of 37 decibels, Decibel Defense makes a promise that these muffs cut down noise by more than any other safety earmuffs.
That should take the 90 decibels of your lawn mower down to a much more comfortable level for your hearing. Plus, these earmuffs could be considered a risk-free purchase as there is a money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with them.
5. Howard Leight Sound Amplification Earmuffs
Okay, this may sound like these earmuffs do the opposite of what you would expect as they are described as a sound amplification device. However bear with us for the final ear protection option on our list. These Howard Leight earmuffs are indeed designed to amplify sound.
However, they only enhance sound which is below a safe level for your hearing. Any sound over 82 decibels should be blocked out. That means you should be able to have a conversation, and retain full situational awareness while you are mowing the lawn, but if the noise does get up to dangerous levels for your hearing, the earmuffs will automatically shut off any loud, sudden sounds to make sure that your ears are protected.
There’s also a stereo jack, so if you do want to use these as normal headphones when your tasks in the garden are completed, you can simply connect them to your audio source.
Things to consider before buying hearing protection for lawn mowing
While you may not be standing close to a jumbo jet on take-off or landing, or experiencing the sort of volume your ears would be exposed to at a rock concert, you do need to be aware that mowing the lawn can still produce decibel levels which aren’t healthy for your hearing, particularly if you are exposed to this noise for lengthy periods of time.
Here is what we considered when selecting the best options for ear protection for you while you are mowing the lawn:
- Decibel reduction: Did the ear protection muffs in question lower the decibel enough to be in a healthy range for your hearing?
- Comfort: Depending on the size and condition of the lawns you are mowing, the task may take some time. Were the earmuffs comfortable to wear while completing the job?
- Value: While your hearing is clearly more valuable than anything monetary, it is still important to consider whether you are getting value for money. Are the ear muffs a good price for the level of protection they are offering?
Features to look for in lawn mowing protection
There are a wide range of options available to protect your ears from all sorts of noises, including while you are at work, carrying out DIY, attending a music concert, shooting, or mowing your lawn.
As such, the choice can be bewildering. So, how do you ensure you choose the right option to provide you with the features and the protection that you need? Here are the factors you should consider:
- Noise reduction. As a typical lawn mower creates noise around the 90 decibel level, you will want to lower that to a noise range which is much more comfortable for your hearing. The level of noise reduction you choose may also depend on how sensitive your hearing is.
- Comfort. You’ll be wearing your ear protectors for a fairly long period of time while you mow your lawn, so you’ll want to make sure they are comfortable. Look for ear protection which has cushioned ear muffs.
- Adjustability. Obviously, not everyone has a head the same shape and size. Check if the option you are looking at allows you to make adjustments to the headband and the angle of the ear muffs.
- Extra features. Is it important to you to be able to listen to the radio, or music while you work? Do you want to be able to make phone calls while you carry on with your task? If so, you’ll want to choose a pair which have bluetooth.
- Situational awareness. It’s important, for safety reasons, that you can still hear some noise, so look at reducing the sound rather than eliminating it completely with your ear protection. Also, if you need to be able to carry on with conversations while reducing the noise of your lawn mower, opt for a pair of ear protectors which amplify conversation but dampen louder noise.
We hope you are well informed after reading our guide, and that you are ready to take the important step of buying ear protection to safeguard your hearing.
From our point of view, the Professional Safety Ear Muffs by Decibel Defence are the best option as they reduce the decibel level you are exposed to by the highest amount.
However, the other options on this list are also a great buy and, depending on your needs, you may find one of the other choices the best one for you.
For instance, if you like to listen to music to make the time pass more quickly while you work, you may decide on the 3M WorkTunes protector. Or, if you need to be able to converse with colleagues, you could opt for the Howard Leigh Sound Amplification Earmuffs.
Have you found the right earmuffs for lawn mowing here? What are your priorities when looking for the best hearing protection for lawn mowing? Let us know in the comments below.
And, if you have found this article helpful, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family, particularly if any of them are often exposed to noise at work or home. It might help them to find the best ear protection for them too.