Best Lawn Mower for Hills & Slopes Review & Buying Guide
Sloped lawns and gardens are undeniably beautiful, but mowing them can certainly be a bit of a tricky task, to say the least. First, you want to get your lawn to look smooth and neat. Plus, you want to avoid accidents and not put yourself through too much stress while mowing a sloped lawn.
My guess is that you’ve probably been struggling to achieve all these with a normal mower. However, it can get a lot easier with a lawnmower that is suitable for hilly gardens. Here, we’ve helped you do a thorough search and we’ve brought you the best lawnmowers for sloped gardens.
You’ll find a great option that’ll help you get up and down the hill with ease. There are certainly a few features that make certain mowers more suitable, you’ll learn that here as well.
Top 6 Most Preferred Lawn Mowers for Hills
1. EGO Power+ LM2101 Cordless Lawn Mower 21″
The ego power+ lawn mower is perfect for small or medium-sized gardens. If you’ve got a small yard and you are looking out for a lawnmower that’ll offer a great experience, this is a wonderful option for you.
It is one of the best electric lawn mowers with lithium batteries.It comes with an impressive 21 inches cutting capacity, but then it does not give a smooth even look as a Honda would. It has a sloping nose structure with effective size, making it ideal for hilly gardens. This amazing cordless electric mower comes with bright LED headlights, so you can get to work at any time.
You may not be so impressed with its 45 minutes cut-time, but then, you can easily charge it in an hour. If you, hate to deal with the noise, and fumes of a gas-powered mower, then you’ll appreciate this technology. The ego power+ lawn mower also offers a tri-cutting feature with six different cutting heights
- Powerful, high-torque magnetic motor
- Three-in-one function including rear bagging, mulching, and side discharge
- Rapid charger minimizes downtime due to battery charging
- Large (20-inch) cut capacity means you’ll cut more grass is less time
- Convenient LED headlines allow anytime mowing
- Folds easily for sturdy, upright storage
- The lifetime of the battery is rather short for large yards
- The battery charger is great but not durable
2. PowerSmart DB2194SH 209cc Gas Mower 21″
The PowerSmart DB2194SH 209cc Gas Mower 21″ is a premium quality lawn mower that can be perfect for yards on hilly slopes. The mower is self-propelled. The mower’s engine transfers some of its rotating shaft power to the rear wheels as it operates. This eliminates most of the effort you need to push the machine making your work less strenuous.
The machine gets its power from 4 stroke 209cc engine. The engine is efficient and will provide you with years of reliable performance. This walk-behind mower has sufficient power to mow half-acre yard without an issue. Although the engine does not offer electric starting. This pull-cord start system does allow users to start the engine with minimal effort.
The PowerSmart DB2194SH 209cc Gas Mower 21″ provides you with variable speed control. Thus you can adjust the speed of the mower depending on the condition of your yard. In the end, the feature contributes to better results. You can also customize the cutting height via a convenient lever. There are six cutting heights to choose from ranging from 1.18 inches to 3.00 inches. The design features a deck wash. The technology aims to minimize the hassles associated with regular cleaning and maintenance.
- A self-propelled rear drive lawn mower
- Enjoy the performance and reliability of PowerSmart DB2194SH 209cc Gas Mower 21″ engine
- This mower allows you to start the mower with only one or two strokes
- Variable speed control and adjustable cutting height for versatility
- Deck wash feature makes it easy to clean and maintain the mower
- Many users would prefer larger rear wheels
- Rear wheels have a tendency to dig in
- A more powerful drive system would the great
3. Greenworks PRO 21″ Cordless Lawn Mower MO80L510
If you want to enjoy the convenience of a cordless lawn mower then you can check out the Greenworks PRO 21″ cordless Lawn Mower MO80L510. This machine gets its power from technologically advanced electric motors. The DigiPro brushless motor is reliable and efficient. It will provide you with a performance equal to that of gas-powered models. The motor gets its power from 4AH or 5AH lithium-ion battery. Such battery will provide up to 60 minutes of cut power. And yes, it does come with a battery and a charger.
The mower features Greenworks so-called smart-cut technology. The technology aims at improving the performance of mower and its run-time. It will allow you to complete your mowing task fast and with ease. Another aspect of performance is the 3-in-1 functionality of the 21-inch steel deck. You have the options to side discharge, mulch or rear bag for grass clippings.
The machine operates up to 30 percent quiet compared to gas models. Unlike the gas-powered models, the Greenworks Pro produces minimal vibration. It means you can mow for as long as the battery allows you without exhaustion. As with most cordless tools, this lawn mower for hill needs no maintenance. You are also free from the inconvenience of cables with a tendency to tangle.
- Efficient and reliable DigiPro brushless motor
- Gives up to 60 minutes of cut power
- Operates quietly and with minimal vibration
- Smart-cut technology improves run-time and performance of the mower
- Needs no maintenance but delivers optimal performance
- May not be ideal for larger yards
4. Honda HRX217VLA 21″ Lawn Mower
Unlock the power of a gas-powered mower for hills in the Honda HRX217VLA 21″ Lawn Mower. Although a gas-powered mower, the model is among the quietest. It features Honda’s patented Versamow System. The unique system allows four-in-one performance. The 21-inch deck can afford you mulch, bag, side discharge or shred grass chippings options.
Even more interesting is the fact that the system allows the combination of functions. You can mulch and bag at the same time by sliding a convenient clip director knob. You can then choose how much grass to mulch and how much to bag. All this you will do without tools or expensive attachments. The machine features twin blade MicroCut System. The technology uses 4-cutting surfaces resulting in thin clippings for perfect mulching. It also results in extra chippings per bag.
It deck features NeXite, an extremely strong and compact material. The material does not dent, corrode or rust with time. It will add to the durability of the mower. The mower features GCV190 engine. Users of Honda products know that GCV190 engines start quickly, are fuel efficient and are powerful. It will give you years of reliable performance. Besides, you can easily adjust the speed of the mower to your stride. You can then engage the Select Drive control for impressive, comfortable speed management.
- You can adjust speed to match your stride and control speed via Select Drive
- Versamow System is incredibly versatile
- Twin blade MicroCut System results in finer grass chippings and better mow
- Deck is made of durable and corrosion, rust and dent resistant NeXite material
- GCV190 engine provides powerful and reliable performance
- Handle seems to provide less than comfortable grip
- Set fastest speed setting is a good idea but not necessary
5. Troy-Bilt Premium Riding Lawn Mower
Do you prefer riding lawn mower for hill and you can part with a slightly higher cost? If so, a good choice would be the Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower from Troy-Bilt. The mower boasts of a massive 382cc Auto Choke OHV engine giving in the biggest power of all models in our review. You know that such performance comes at a cost.
The machine equipped a fuel tank that has a capacity of 1.3 gallons. The tanks have a window through which you can check the fuel level. You will easily know when to refill your mower. With a massive 30-inch cutting deck, you can be sure to finish your task fast. You can choose from five mowing height options. This feature will give professional mowing results.
The mower can achieve a maximum forward speed of 4.25 mph. But you can adjust the performance speed of the mower via six-speed transmissions. The adjustable speed option is necessary because hills need low mowing speeds. The large size of the deck makes it wise to ride carefully on slopes.
- Incredible 18-inch turning radius guarantees superior maneuverability
- Five mowing height options provide great results
- 6-speed transmissions allow you to find the right mowing speed
- Large rear wheels provide good traction on hilly areas
- Comfortable mid-back seat with a soft-grip steering wheel
- The large size of the mower makes it risky on steep slopes
- The tough and slippery footrest may be risky
6. Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless Mower
This snapper lawn mower is a nice choice for medium-sized sloped gardens. It is an electric cordless walk-behind mower. It comes with a smart and effective system with up to 45 minutes cut time.
It has a height adjustment feature that’s much better than the regular walk-behind mowers. Snapper SXD offers 7 cutting height levels. However, this mower may not be the best option for you if you have a very hilly garden, this is because of its rather large size. Snapper lawn mower is perfect for gardens with smaller slopes.
- Powerful lithium-ion battery
- 7 cutting height adjustments
- 3-in-1 mowing, bagging, and side-discharge feature
- 21-inch steel mowing deck
- Cordless option
- Does not come with a charger and battery
- You’ll need to be careful with the handle bolt
- May not work on a very. hilly garden surface
Things to Consider Before Buying a Lawn Mower for Hills
Wowing on a hilly slope can be dangerous. The first step to achieving a successful mow is to choose the right mower for the purpose. A wrong mower may not cut anything or at best deliver poor quality mow. To help you succeed, here is our resourceful buying guide on what to consider before buying a mower for hills.
Wheel Drive Mode
When it comes to the best mower for hills, the drive mode you choose is of utmost importance. In this case, you can choose from a rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive. The best choice of mowing on hills is a rear-wheel drive. An all-wheel-drive may also be good in a lot of situations but may not be great for hilly yards. Rear-wheel drive has excellent traction. This becomes important especially if you were to lose control of the mower.
Type of Lawn Mower
You can choose between 3 different types of mowers. These include walk-behind lawn mowers, zero-turn lawn mowers and riding lawn mowers. The walk-behind models are the best for hills. This is because they allow you to rapidly position your mass as you move along the hilly slopes. Besides, they are easy to control through press buttons located on the right side of the mower. Zero-turn and riding lawn mowers can tipple easily.
Deck size determines the time you will take to complete your mowing task. For large open yards, the best deck size should range between 42 and 54-inches cutting width. However, narrow lawns and those in sloppy areas will need shorter decks. It will give you better control as you will easily move the mower around obstacles.
A light lawn mower is ideal for hilly yards. A heavier one will be difficult to the handle especially when you need to move it up and down the hills. However, you have to balance power with weight. Its because most lightweight models do not have enough power necessary for efficient mow. In other words, the mower should be powerful yet light enough for easy handling on slopes.
Many models of lawn mowers allow for various accessories to improve functionality. Nevertheless, such attachments add to the overall weight of the mower. It would be wise to avoid unnecessary attachments of your mower cannot accommodate them. It will reduce the weight you can bear and thus make your mower easy to control.
Ease of Operation
Some lawn mowers are complicated and thus hard to control. It may become problematic for new users. If you are new to this machinery, it would be wise to choose a model that is easy to operate. Most of the ones we have included in our top 5 lawn mower for hills reviews are very easy to operate. Look for one with easy operation features. Examples of such features include cruise control. The feature allows the mower to navigate around a given area without cumbersome instructions.
Important Safety Precautions For Lawn Mowers
Mowing sloped gardens can be very risky, but with these safety instructions you should get along well.
- Inspect your garden before mowing, you want to make sure there are no harmful blades, bottles, etc.
- For gas-powered mowers, make sure to let them cool off before re-fueling. This will prevent fire accidents.
- For riding mowers, just a single rider is needed. Avoid anything more.
- When mowing on a sloped area, ensure the mower is straight in the direction of the slope.
Also Read: Best Lawn Mower Lifts
Make your hilly backyard picturesque by mowing frequently. It’s important that you use the right mower. The most mowers are ideal for mowing flat, open yards. Certain salient features make certain mowers more suitable than others in mowing hills. Our top choice has a majority of these features. The others in the list of top 5 best lawn mower for hills are also great.